Countryside & Villages

scansano
SCANSANO
grosseto
GROSSETO
pitigliano
PITIGLIANO

Scasano

scansano

Scansano is a charming medieval village famous throughout the world for the production of the precious Morellino, a red wine that claims the DOCG Guaranteed Origin Certificate. Morellino di Scansano is born in a very special environment, which combines the advantages of the hill with the scents that come from the sea. Grape variety of Morellino is mainly Sangiovese; the Production Regulation requires a minimum of 85% Sangiovese grapes, while the remaining 15% must be chosen among others recommended from this area, such as Ciliegiolo, Canaiolo, Malvasia.

However, Scansano is not just wine, it is also culture and traditions. The historic center is a lovely place for arts and artisan shops, restaurants and wineries. Walk slowly through the characteristic streets, before relaxing while enjoying a glass of good wine. Don’t forget to visit the Museo della Vite e del Vino, which reports the history of wine production and promote excellent Tuscan wines.

A traditional village festival takes place, every year, in the month of September, when the historic cellars of Scansano open the doors for tastings the best labels of the territory. Another attraction of Scansano is the Etruscan settlement of Ghiaccio Forte, founded in the 4th century BC. In the surroundings of Scansano we also recommend a visit to the Castle of Montorgiali, the Convent of Petreto and the Castle of Montepò.

Discover the Region!